GenBeauty Survival Guide

So GenBeauty is approaching - this may be your first time or it may not be... but I'm just going to share my thoughts on how to survive this fun, but grueling day lol! I've attended NY's event last year and LA's event in January and both experiences were completely different. As each year goes by, I feel like I can expect things to get a bit more crowded and crazy!

So, if you don't know - GenBeauty is an awesome weekend event run by ipsy, where you can connect with other beauty lovers, network with brands, meet your favorite stylist/beauty youtubers, explore new products and get so many awesome goodies! The beginning few are great for all attendees, but then the end ones are going to be more geared toward content creators!

1) wear cute, but comfortable clothes. you will be walking all day - and the last thing you want is to feel uncomfortable. Most of your time spent, when you are inside, is waiting on lines.

2) don't lose the map! The map has little perforated "tickets" on the edges. These serve as tickets to get your 'free items' at each booth.. some brands will give you a little sample and others will give you a full size goodie! On that, it also has your saturday and sunday goodie bags (if you were not invited to the cocktail party) - these have an awesome selection of goodies from the brands!

3) map out where you want to go first. Because all the lines get really long, you'll want to map out the places that are most important to you. For me, I know that toofaced and makeup forever always had AWESOME goodies (usually full sized foundations or palettes!) and sometimes they run out, so you will want to get to those first! A lot of times within the first hour, the lines get so ridiculously long, they close it, so you won't be able to get on it until things are out :(

4) stay connected to social media. a lot of times, if you are in it for the goodies (i mean who isn't!), social media will tell you what goodies you'll be getting. A lot of times if you just check the hashtag for #genbeauty, you'll see lots of people posting the free stuff they are getting. Then you can judge whether or not it is worth it to wait on line to get the item! This way you can map out your time wisely!

5) Bring a bigger bag. The first year, I brought this teeny little crossbody bag and it was so annoying because I had to carry all these samples and stuff! Luckily I was able to get a paper bag (I think ipsy provided it), but with all the crowds, it kept getting knocked around! The next time, I opted to bring a bigger bag, and I was able to shove everything in the bag! So much more convenient. This year, I have a cute lil backpack, so it'll be way convenient for me! HAHA :)

6) Bring water / a snack. They will have food trucks and what not outside, but since you'll be waiting forever on lines - it's smart to bring a little something to hold you over.

7) Make friends! If you don't bring a friend, make some friends! Remember, we're allllll beauty lovers so you already have that in common! You also never know the friendships that will be built from this event!

8) Bring business cards - some newer brands may ask for it when they see that you're a creator and some you'll just have a great conversation and will happen to give them out. Having it will just make networking that much easier - you can give them to other creators and be able to connect!

9) Do your research and don't be afraid to talk to the companies! I actually know most of the PR contact's names by doing my research on each brand. This way when I get to the brands, I can ask for a specific person to talk to. If I am in contact with some of the PRs, I will opt to even email them and ask if they will be there so they will know to expect me!  Don't be afraid to talk!! We're all on even playing field. It doesn't matter if you have 10 subscribers or 10,000,000 subscribers - if you are memorable and show that you are awesomely you, it gives you a better chance of them actually wanting to connect... which leads me to....

10) Ask for business cards - this was especially helpful for me when I was meeting with brands. If there is a particular brand you REALLY want to work with - after you chat with them, definitely ask for their business card. Yes - although its great to give them YOUR business cards... chances are they are getting a TON of business cards from everyone. However, if you take theirs, you can be proactive and follow up with them. What I always do is after our conversation - I remember something that was interesting about our convo and I'll write it on their business card. This way, when I email them, I can refer to that moment to help them remember who I am. For example - the PR from toofaced and I talked about how amazing the chocolate products smell and made all these jokes about it. When I emailed her, I referred to our conversation with something like.. "It was great meeting you - I'm so excited about the chocolate lipstick from GenBeauty... and you're so right! Every time I put it on, I can't help but want to lick it!" I found I gained way more responses when I emailed this way because it is a bit more real and thought out!

11) Be nice! I saw lots of people that would stomp up to the front of the line and say "I'm a creator!" expecting to get something and go to the PR right away. Sometimes it worked, but sometimes it made the people that worked for the brand go "uh... yeah, the lines over there for you to get on." It's not worth it to be rude and ruin your reputation.

12) Have fun and be yourself! You NEVER know the opportunities that may come your way through this weekend... so it's most important to be who you are! I've gotten to meet so many brands that I never dreamed I could work with through this event (benefit, toofaced, etc.).. even though my subscriber count isn't as high as many others. Believe in your self and be confident! :)

Please let me know if you have questions! I'm excited to go! And if you're interested, I can post about my full experience (including the cocktail party, haul and concierge program) after this weekend if it would be helpful for you all in the future! LMK! Are any of you guys going to GenBeauty? XO


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home